Few things are worse than the feeling one gets with motion sickness: the nausea and vomiting can be perfectly deadly.
Motion sickness, also referred to as sea sickness or car sickness, is a common disturbance of the inner ear that is caused by repeated motion. In addition to nausea and vomiting, symptoms can include dizziness and sweating as well.
Luckily homeopathy can really help and here is a list of a few remedies to consider:
- Bryonia: Nausea and faintness on getting up, often with great irritability. Motion of any kind makes nausea worse, and the person feels much better from lying down (and worse from sitting up). Feels better from drinking. Tendency to hold stomach or head with hands.
- Cocculus: Dizziness and nausea worse from rising or sitting up – with a strong desire to lie down. The symptoms are worse from watching moving objects or from seeing or smelling food and in open air. Also worse from drinking or eating. Patient feels faint. Better from closing the eyes. Symptoms are especially worse if combined with loss of sleep or jetlag.
- Nux vomica: Irritability, the person does not want to be questioned. Severe nausea, with a desire to vomit but difficulty doing so. The patient feels faint, chilly and can be worse from eating, or the smell of food, tobacco, and coffee.
- Petroleum: Dizziness on rising. Persistent nausea with excessive salivation and stomach pain – worse from passive motion, like riding in a car. Patient can complain of pain and stiffness in the neck. May feel better lying with the head high and from warmth.
*Sepia: Painful feeling of emptiness in the pit of the stomach accompanies the nausea. Faint- feeling. Nausea often better from eating, walking around/exercise. Worse in morning before breakfast.
- Tabacum: Incessant, “deadly” nausea that is worse from the smell of tobacco smoke. There can be vomiting on the least motion, and there is often a terrible faint, sinking feeling at pit of stomach. The patient is often very pale and wants the abdomen uncovered as that lessens the nausea and vomiting. Feels much better in fresh air. Feels better closing the eyes.
So enjoy your trip knowing homeopathy can help. And remember – the key to choosing the correct remedy is always the same: match the characteristic symptoms of the patient to the characteristic symptoms produced by our many remedies – choosing the remedy with the most similar characteristics – and you will have a happy outcome most every time.